CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Progress?

I haven't had much to post about with regard to the adoption process, because......not much has been happening; at least, not on our part. After our dossier arrived on the ground in E Country on November 8, it was out of our hands and all we can do is wait.....and pray, and trust God, and read E Country and adoption related books, and check blogs and online chats about E Country adoption, get our necessary innoculations, prepare for the necessary readoption, and gather donations/gifts for our trip, oh, and wait......Did I mention that?

Gigs and I tried an E Country restaurant in Pittsburgh when we were there, Tana. The owner joined us at the table, because, he thought whoever ordered Gigs' platter must be from E Country. We explained that we were newbies and he showed us how to use the anjera to eat, in lieu of utensils (not provided, I might add). We had several stews (I think wot is the word for stew) - Mike had a beef selection and a chicken selection (doro wot?) - each came with a choice of two sauces - he tried one of each. I had the vegetarian platter and chose 3 items, one was chickpea-based, one was lentils-based, and one was a stew of carrots and cabbage. The anjera is like a huge thin pancake, but different in texture and taste (a bit sourdough-ish) and is used to dip in or pick up the various stews which are served on top of it. The other thing we tried was a red beet and potato salad which was very yummy. I wouldn't say it was my favorite food of all time or anything, but it was all very tasty and Gigs and I shared and enjoyed each choice. When it was first served it looked like a small quantity, but the anjera is very filling - I think it has much protein and calcium, etc. The experience was awesome and put any worries we might have had to rest about what we will be eating in E Country when we're there.

The other very cool thing that happened while at the restaurant was that an adoptive mother came in with her 2 children, one adopted from E Country. The owner hugged everyone and spun the little boy around - he apparently came to the US 6 months ago. The community there was very warm. As we left the restaurant, we noticed a notebook that was labeled adoptive families and we opened it to see some 30 or so families listed. We added our names to the list. Apparently, an adoption group meets there every month to have the kids get to know one another and for the parents to support one another. It will be cool if we're in Pittsburgh for the 4th Saturday of any month to join them. I was very emotional writing our names in the notebook. The owner came and talked to us about what the group does there and we mentioned that we were waiting for our referral. It still makes me want to cry, it makes it feel so real, so possible. I don't always feel that way.

0 comments: