
I just went out at lunch to try to listen to an adoption radio program about accepting referrals/birth mother matches and decided that I'd go to my old favorite - Speedy Gonzales on Tidewater Drive. 20 years ago, there were 3 locations of the infamous taco joint. I remember fondly, 1988, I was working for a local CPA and had to be to work after morning classes before 11 AM - Everyday on my way from school, I would stop at Speedy's (the only place open at 10:30 am for lunch) and order exactly the same thing - A beef burrito, extra cheese, hot peppers and onions and a small chip and dip. That's 50 weeks X 5 days per week - yeah.....250 beef burritos that year and, of course, the accompanying chips & dip to boot. Add a 7-11 bran muffin and coffee to the day and that was pretty much my nutrition for the whole year. I was not eating dinner at all at the time. I lost 30 lbs that year in, I'm sure, the most healthy of manners. These days, Speedy's is a rare treat I indulge in and as this is day 8 of my flu bug - I was feeling like a treat.
Sadness overwhelmed me as I walked through the door, saw the new paint job and an unfamiliar man behind the counter. I clung to hope - perhaps he would carry on with the same menu, suppliers, processes, etc. I placed the order and knew it would never be the same. It was the worst - the chips were burnt, the hot sauce was sweeter than sugar, the burrito was dry and cold, even the hot peppers and onions were foreign. Why, Why, Why would you change a formula that worked? The place will be gone in 6 months I'm sure.
I came back to the office and I immediately called my husband to share my grief. I told him that I was sad and grieving, that "They" sold Speedy Gonzales and that it was gone, never to be the same again. He misunderstood me at first, thought I said they sold Baby Gonzales and wanted to know who Baby Gonzales was. After laughing until I nearly choked, I clarified and he too then shared my disappointment in losing this icon restaurant. If only we had known, we could have at least made a special trip for our final meal...
At this time in my life, when I've been waiting and praying for certain changes for so long, the only thing that seems to change are the things I hoped would remain the same forever.
3 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment