Today has been a rollercoaster of emotions. With all the confusing news coming out of E Country, I was up and then down, and then just not sure where to go with my feelings. Then at lunchtime I talked with my mom and she told me that my Aunt Ellen had died over night. My Aunt Ellen is an amazing person and although she'd been through a couple bouts of Lymphoma, and had been on oxygen full time, she had a very active life. She was the light of all family gatherings. She had the most amazing sense of humor; even through her chemotherapy she had the nurses rolling. She was a stong, sometimes stubborn, and always independent woman. She was an awesome friend, mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and so much more. I am so sad to think that she will not be there in my hometown when I visit. Gigs and I spent Thanksgiving with the whole family at the apartment complex she just moved to in the fall. My other aunt, Shirley also lives there and we had a huge feast and, as a family, completely filled the community room; it was a very joyous occasion. I'm glad we had that family reunion, as this year's Rhine reunion will not be the same without Aunt Ellen. My mom and Aunt Ellen were the only living sisters of the twelve siblings and although fairly close to complete opposites in personality, they shared an amazing bond. I always remember my mom saying that Aunt Ellen was their father's answer to his desire to have a baseball team - they had 8 brothers and Aunt Ellen was the 9th player. All the children loved Aunt Ellen, I'm so sad that she will not be there when our children come home.
I'm just sad - thank God for the Golden Girls - I'm viewing a marathon.
3 years ago


2 comments:
so sorry for all your saddness, You deserve some good news, hopefull soon. take care...K
I'm so sorry, Terri. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Post a Comment