CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Our Little Fashionista

How can a little girl in the rural areas of Ethiopia be so about clothes? She is picky too. OUR strong wills have led to a few long mornings. We have come to a workable compromise most of the time. When I insist on something, she says Mommy today, Nebyat tomorrow, okay? I use the same technique now. We still have some graciousness issues to work on when it comes to receiving gifts. Grandma brought her a new outfit a few days ago (lavender with princesses on the front) - she just said "Nebyat - No" and then pouted because she liked Jetu's outfit better.

We were so blessed at the adoption shower that friends threw for us before the girls came home. Many friends gave us gift cards which are coming in quite handy now as we have to switch to warmer clothes and have literally nothing for the season. I took the girls for a quick shopping trip today to Old Navy (Thank you, Miss Cindy!). Other than the weather and the lost car in the parking lot at the mall, things went pretty well. Although both girls got quite a few cute things, Jetu fell asleep before the fashion show tonight. Nebyat enjoyed showing Papa all of her new duds...







I'm sure hoping the "buy-in" of her choosing her own clothes makes those morning decisions more pleasant! It certainly was fun watching her feel so special today.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Love it. She is so beautiful:)

Lisa Bates said...

She's so beautiful! I'm sure the fact that she gets to make some choices will help. Hang in there mom!

Lori :) said...

Nebyat sounds like my oldest daughter - not afraid to speak her mind. :) My daughter was given a C-mas sweater by my mom. She took one look at it and said "Thanks grandmom. But I don't like it. You can take it back." At least - this time - she said it in a nice way and actually thanked her for the gift. My mom was actually quite appreciative for the honesty - because then she could go out and buy her something she really did like. :)
I also gave up on being able to pick out my kids clothes a long time ago. Meghan was picky at 2! And Wendy has never really liked me telling her what to do/wear/eat/etc. :) I pick my battles carefully. As long as they are not dressed totally inappropriately - I try not to make a fuss. Sometimes it is too cold out for an outfit - and I'll say "hey - have you felt outside yet to see what the weather's like? will you do that for me?" If it's cold -then sometimes they'll change on their own. If they don't - then they'll just learn the hard way that it's not the best to wear shorts when it's 50 degrees out! :) Whey THEY learn it (instead of me just telling them) - then it sticks with them! :) We all learn that way for the most part . . . experientially! :)
Have fun - and I love the pics of your girls showing off their clothes! Why do we (as girls) like to do that? :) My hubby always chuckles at us! :)
Blessings!