CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 18, 2009

Back in the land of technology

I'm finally coming out of the techno-fog that enveloped me late last week, earlier this week. Let's see - I had to buy a new laptop because my screen had a short in it and I had to hold it with one hand and/or reposition it constantly to keep from having the dreaded black screen. I was due for an upgrade anyway, but I am not enjoying the change, still have programs to load and files to transfer. With the new computer came the need for a new mobile broadband device for internet access (no PCI slot on the new computer). I was able to upgrade that for free to a USB-type, however again, it's been an adjustment and more than an hour at the store and another on the phone to get it working properly. I managed to get to my office today for 2 1/2 hours and realized that my printer/copier/scanner/fax device is not compatible with the operating system on the new computer. I dropped my cell phone directly into the toilet where it was actually hard to extract, luckily the toilet was clean. I had hoped it would dry and work, but alas those dreams were dashed. Luckily a friend had just upgraded 2 phones and received them the day after my tragic accident; she was able to give me her old one and it didn't cost the minimum $170 for a new phone. Then, of course, there's my camera - the lens will not open and it says something about a lens error. I left the second of our two cameras at our Church office where the girls performed in the Christmas Jingle Jam last Sunday - it's there, but I have to go by and pick it up. Hmmmm, oh yeah, the cooktop in the kitchen started click, clicking and sparking while completely turned off - like it was trying to ignite the pilot light or something. With no explanation, it stopped. I'm beginning to feel like someone or something is out to get me...

Nebyat and I made the girls' favorite, chili, this afternoon and tonight Gigs and I took the girls to the Christmas light show on the Boardwalk - you drive your car and there are wonderful sights everywhere you look. Jetu gets more and more boisterous everyday-I know some of you who know her find that hard to believe, but she does not stop talking, especially in the car and we seem to have spent a lot of time in the car lately. It's interesting to hear all of her English vocabulary and strewn together in such unusual ways, but I have to say sometimes it's so peaceful when she drifts off to sleep. Right now she tells stories with An'en (contraction for "and then") between every segment. Jetu and Nebyat butterfly an'en fly an'en caca an'en Etiopia an'en boom an'en die. She is just a tad manipulative. At the slightest correction from mama or papa, she says Jetu wedetshu (love) mommy/papa, no! Yesterday, when she was mad at me, she told me that tomorrow, she and Nebyat were going to fly back home to Ethiopia. Nebyat quickly responded that she was not going back to Ethiopia. She pretty quickly and in her cutsiest voice rescinds her statement, says "Jetu love mommy, yes!" For some reason, she's regressed a bit on potty training. She didn't have one accident in like 90 days and then started peeing her pants (3 times in one week, I think), having to pee frequently with urgency and then barely going, that kind of thing. I was not too concerned and then I remembered the infection she had at Thanksgiving and the swelling and pain she had in that area and so I called the doctor. They said to bring her in - she had no infection and everything looks normal - suggested the trauma there may have an impact emotionally/mentally - not physically and that now that her giardia is cleared up she may have more pressure from her bowels on her bladder, or it could be regression, or a combo of all of the above. I tend to think it's mostly about being a baby, and so yes, regression, triggered perhaps by the trauma-hopefully it will resolve itself soon - the accidents have stopped, but she's still very focused on going (if she's bored or in the car).

We toured Nebyat's school this week and she will start full-day kindergarten after the new year. I was hoping for half-day and afternoons at that, but our public elementary school and the one across the street are both full-day programs. Say a prayer that she transitions well - I think it will all depend on the teacher. She's very sensitive and she's a bit insecure in her attachment sometimes, so she doesn't like to be separated for too long from Mommy; I really don't have the ability to communicate the lack of choice we have in this matter. I just pray it's a positive experience from the beginning - she's ready, now that we've assured her there will be no corporal punishment if she doesn't get the answers correct. She's liking karate, but she's only been to 2 sessions with the group and they focused on stranger danger last time. She wasn't too sure about one instructor and was hesitant about going, but she said that it was better the second time with her. Both girls had their first dentist appointment, which went wonderfully - they really do well with doctor visits, etc. I expected to hear that Neb had a mouth full of cavities and neither girl had any. Unfortunately, Nebyat does require 4 extractions of baby teeth where the permanent are already coming in behind them. This will take place on 12/28 with only local anesthesia - I'm not looking forward to that and hopefully it won't be too bad as their babies with shallow roots; I think the subsequent tooth fairy visit will be motivation enough to get us there.

Okay - peace out - I'm tired and my sinuses are killing me - I cannot breathe!

0 comments: